October 29, 2012

Traditions


There's something that has been on my mind lately...traditions. Particularly Christmas traditions. With Christmas just around the corner (seriously though, it's almost November!) and my new little family of three, I thought now would be a good time to start thinking of the traditions I want to start this year. I know Hudson wont remember this Christmas, or even next Christmas, but I want him to be able to look back, see the pictures, and know that we have been doing these traditions for all of his life. 

Growing up my family had a couple traditions that have stuck with me. Some that I'd like to carry on and do with my own family. Every Christmas Eve we would open one present from my parents, and that one present was always new pajamas. I don't know if it was the comfort of knowing what I would get, or the fact that I always had new, warm pajamas to sleep in the night before Santa came, but I have always loved this tradition. The second one is waffles on Christmas morning. For as long as I can remember we've had waffles every Christmas morning. I don't even know if this is something my parents meant to become a "tradition" but it's something that as I kid, and even now as an adult, I look(ed) forward to.

Here's the bad part about being an adult. There are these little things we have (or our spouses have), called jobs, that can prevent families from being together on the holidays. I have spent 22 Christmas' with my family. That's a lot of Christmas'. This Christmas will be different. As many of you know, Chris started a new job back in August. 

New employee = low end of the totem-pole, grunt work, last-to-get-days-off-for-the-holidays.

 Now, I am so so so thankful that he has a job, because in this economy not many people do, I just wish that every single person could have a "Holiday PAYED Vacation Week" off for Christmas. Is that too much to ask?

Anyways, my point is, I think that starting new traditions (& carrying on past traditions) will bring a little piece of "home" to our Christmas this year. Even though it will be just us three, I am going to make it just as fun. 

What are your favorite family traditions??

2 comments:

  1. I love having off between Christmas and New Year's Eve so I completely understand you.
    Your blog is lovely! I am a follower from Arizona Bloggers Network, please feel free to visit and follow my blog:
    http://www.azlifeandstyle.com/

    Thank you,

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tough being away from family for Christmas. When we lived in Memphis, it was too far, too expensive and I had a job, so we spent 3 years of holidays with just us. But I learned how to cook a turkey and make a Thanksgiving feast. We also had left-overs for the next week. We bought a real Christmas tree, made goodies for friends and neighbors. Even though it's hard being away from family, it can still be really fun and sweet! So back to traditions.... When Daniel was growing up, he always got a can of pineapple juice, pop-tart and gum in his stocking. Since we have been married, he has made me carry on the tradition.

    ReplyDelete

Show us some love!