October 18, 2011

Marriage?

Marriage? Why on earth would I do that?
My thought on this subject has certainly changed over the years. I wanted to share a quote from an internationally renowned surgeon and prominent LDS leader, Russel M. Nelson:
Wise shoppers study their options thoroughly before they make a selection. They focus primarily on the quality and durability of a desired product. They want the very best. In contrast, some shoppers look for bargains, and others may splurge, only to learn later—much to their dismay—that their choice did not endure well. And sadly, there are those rare individuals who cast aside their personal integrity and steal what they want. We call them shoplifters.The patterns of the shopper may be applied to the topic of marriage. A couple in love can choose a marriage of the highest quality or a lesser type that will not endure. Or they can choose neither and brazenly steal what they want as “marital shoplifters.”
Please know that I didn't buy my wife, although I had high expectations I have loved every day of my marriage with my eternal wife, Alyssa Smeda. She has been more than wonderful to me. We have only been for six months but I'm happy and I have come to realize my thoughts about marriage was a little off before. 
Growing up I wasn't a fan of marriage. To me, marriage meant tied to one person, diminishing my goals, and not being able to do what I wanted to do. In contrast, I have learned that marriage means always having a best friend, enhancing goals, and learning to love enough to sacrifice for things which are really important in life. I struggled with the concept of skyrocketing rates of divorce worldwide. I didn't want to be another statistic. I have learned that the best way to stay married is to STAY married. It's hard sometimes, sure. But it doesn't mean it is impossible. Drop the things that don't matter, and discuss the things that does. I have learned to appreciate  communicate, and date. 
Appreciating is easy, it's saying I love you and Thank you. It makes a world of a difference. It's the first step to strengthening a relationship.
Communication is not just talking. It's listening too. My wife will agree that I have much improvement in this area, but I'm working on it. Communicating is key for Alyssa and I as we discuss common goals and building our friendship. 
Dating is so much better than hanging out. I love the dates my wife go on. We both enjoy the dates but it is so much better when it is a planned date. When actual creativity and effort is put into it, I get much more excited for a date knowing I took the time out of my day to think of something special for her, not just anyone, but for my wife. I have often thought as planning a date like "service." It's an unselfish act which benefits others, but at the same time there is something intangible that happens to yourself, a sense of peace perhaps. Depending on the service, but for me, planning a date for Alyssa means I'm thinking about her more in a positive way. I'm thinking about her likes and dislikes. 

1 comment:

  1. "I love the dates my wife goes on" Does she not take you with her?
    Anyway, I love this post. I always told you that marriage was the way to go, but you didn't believe me. Or maybe you were just waiting for the right person to steal your heart? I appreciate the quote from Elder Nelson, and I'm going to borrow it!

    ReplyDelete

Show us some love!