December 19, 2011

Safe Arrival

The three of us were fortunate enough to stay at the Neff's home in Utah last night where we were able to sit down, relax, eat a delicious home made meal, and re-energize. The next morning we woke up at the crack of dawn (give or take five hours) and enjoyed a delicious farmers breakfast (complements to the chef) including free-range chicken eggs, sausages, home-made hash-browns, toast, and drank it down with orange juice. 




It was soon thereafter we packed our luggage and off we went to the airport. I am so thankful for airplanes which can travel for long distances in a short amount of time. We traveled from Salt Lake Airport to LAX where we met the rest of the Dewsnup fam-bam. It is always good to see their smiling faces and the quarrels of younger sibling life. On the flight Alyssa spotted a creep taking a video his model-looking neighbour which I find humourous and unfortunate at the same time. I felt I should have told the lady about her fellow stalker but the damage had already been done and everyone had gone their separate ways. 




Los Angeles was bustling with its usual bumper-to-bumper traffic and happy hands waving at each other. Unfortunately about 4 fingers from each hand were missing. Collectively it seemed drivers were in a hurry to get somewhere. It's interesting, our airplane departed at 1:10pm and lands two hours later. No big deal, or one would think. As soon as the airport employee politely calls for an orderly fashioned line at the gate to board the airplane, the now frantic passengers interpret this unearthly statement as , "There are 1,000 of you but only 15 seats available on the airplane. Everyone push, shove, punch, and kick. Do whatever you need to do to get in front of the line. And remember, it leaves in 30 seconds so hurry as fast as you can." It is no different when we land. As soon as we land, the faintly jet-lagged passengers leap to their feet and without a blink of an eye, have already opened the overhead reclaiming their oversize carry-on only to set ready for that sprint for the exit door as though a bomb is set, again, 30 seconds. Perhaps passengers have had horrific experiences where they didn't get off the plane quick enough and the plane was already taking off to another city, or perhaps the airport for whatever common reason had disappeared all because the passenger hadn't gone off the airplane in a wild panic. I would love to go on concerning airplanes, passengers, airports, and the joys of it all but I should move on.


After a seemingly day-long flight, we found ourselves in tropical Los Angeles, California. Okay, it was actually cold, wet, and gloomy but in comparison to Rexburg, we were in a half-civilized paradisaical city which was good enough for us Idahoans. The day was already good at this point but it was made superb when we were treated to exquisite food of Black Angus. Of course I had to capitalize on steak while my wife had her traditional chicken fingers. Nevertheless, it was completely mouth watering and filling. Thank you again to the man who graciously paid because otherwise, it was a choice between McDonalds and Burger King.


A lengthy trip back and my heart was overfilled with joy to once again sit down, relax, and enjoy the company. We spoke about family, friends, and expecting additions to the family. Excitement of family traditions sprung alive with the magic of Christmas just around the corner and the wonderful spirit that it brings in all of us - the young and the old. The mysterious presents around the decorated Christmas tree sparkle fantasy presents in the imaginative minds while others keep working hard to make every Christmas a special Christmas.

Perhaps a word to givers. I hope I don't have to turn in my "man-card" for this one but my wife and I were watching the Ellen Degenres show recently and she had given this family of nine around $25,000 worth of Christmas gifts. This family lived in Rigby, Idaho, only 10 minutes from our home which I thought was awesome. As far as I know, the father was laid off and was struggling to keep ends meet, paying the bills, and keeping Christmas alive in his family with little to no presents under the fading tree. 

To those who give, I say Thank You. We love you and admire you. Whether you give your time, your talents, your money, or your love, I like to speak on behalf of those who receive, "Thank You." We so often don't notice your good deeds and kind acts. You may not give the clothes off your back but you teach a man to sew. You commute to work while the world is still asleep. You teach children the correct principles of morals, ethics, and values. You shine their shoes before the elves can get to them. Every year Corporate America and the exploding media do everything but remind us of the Saviour's birth. Much confusion and disarray fog our vision of what Christmas is really about. I have met, seen, and been influenced by those who truly know and understand Christmas because they have the light of Christ within them. They understand that it is not "who is right, but what is right" and they see the big picture with the heavenly vision as a guide for their life. I know that people around the world draws incomparable strength, a truly unique vitality, from the faith and devotion of every good person who do good, whoever you may be. Most of my life I have been on the receiving end of that goodness and I am so thankful. Today I see a continuation of good people who sacrifice so much to make the lonely feel comforted, the hungry filled, the naked clothed, and the neglected loved. 



In the words of Elder Holland, "I have struggled to find an adequate way to tell you how loved of God you are and how grateful we are for you. I am trying to be the very angels of heaven in thanking you for every good thing you have ever done, for every kind word you have ever said, for every sacrifice you have ever made in extending to someone - to anyone - the beauty and blessings of [Christmas]."

After a day like today, I have much to be grateful for. I needed to write here a little bit to express the feelings of my heart. The other day I distraught about the condition of my shoes, then I walked past someone who didn't have feet.

Before I start writing all the chapters of my life, I am going to bed and say, ...Adieu.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us some love!